It's all about rumoured new hardware in our tech news roundup today, courtesy of our friends at TechRadar: find out the latest on the Galaxy Note 9, the Galaxy Gear S4, the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL from Google, and a flagship phone that we're expecting soon from Nokia.
1. The Galaxy Note 9 is arriving on 9 August
Brace yourselves: the Galaxy Note 9 is going to be officially unveiled on 9 August, Samsung has confirmed, with a big media shindig happening in New York. While Samsung itself hasn't said anything else about the super-sized phone, we're expecting it to come with an upgraded S Pen stylus, a spacious 6.4-inch screen and an upgraded dual-lens rear camera.
- Samsung Galaxy Note 9 launch date confirmed as August 9 (opens in new tab)
2. Get ready for Snapchat gaming
Snapchat's latest play to steal user eyeballs away from Instagram and Facebook is apparently going to be its own gaming platform. Insider sources say that Snapchatters will soon be able to download mini games inside the app itself, though for now we don't know what they'll involve – something to do with augmented reality and photos is a good bet.
- Delete after playing: Is Snapchat getting into gaming? (opens in new tab)
3. Nokia's next flagship could have an in-screen fingerprint scanner
We're expecting Nokia to launch a high-end, premium flagship phone before the year is out, and the latest rumours suggest it's going to be one of the first to feature a fingerprint scanner embedded into the front display. As per the new leaks, it's also going to be running Android P, and will have the powerful Snapdragon 845 chipset installed as well.
- A Nokia flagship could be coming with an in-screen fingerprint scanner (opens in new tab)
4. The Samsung Gear S4 is almost definitely launching in August
While you're busy filling out your calendar with all the hardware launches we're still expecting in 2018, you might as well add the Samsung Gear S4 smartwatch in there too. It's been approved by the European Communications Commission (ECC), which suggests a public reveal is imminent – and it may well appear alongside the Galaxy Note 9 phone.
- There's even more evidence the Samsung Gear S4 will launch in August (opens in new tab)
5. Take a look at these high-quality Pixel 3 renders
Rounding out a day of gadget rumours, the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL are expected to be launched by Google in the next few months, and thanks to some creative types on the web we've now got some gorgeous renders of what they might look like. These designs aren't official yet, but they should whet your appetite while we wait for the official unveiling.
- Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL shown off in high-quality renders (opens in new tab)