There's a brand new version of Android on the scene, with a brand new name. On top of that, we've got stories on Amazon Alexa's improving smarts, new Fossil smartwatches, and upcoming phones from Google and Razer – all courtesy of our friends at TechRadar.
1. Android 9 Pie is here
After months of beta testing, Google has pushed out the final version of Android P and given it a proper name at last: Android 9 Pie. The updated mobile OS is coming to Pixel phones first, and will then filter down to phones from Essential, Nokia, OnePlus, Sony and others – click on the link below to learn about all the new features rolling out now.
- Android 9 Pie features, release date and phones list (opens in new tab)
2. Alexa can now answer your old questions
Amazon's Alexa AI assistant can't answer everything you ask it yet – but if it doesn't know the answer, it will now remember your query, and get back to you if it ever does learn the right information. In other words, your Echo could pop up with the answer to a question months after you asked it, though you have the option to turn the feature on or off.
- Alexa will soon answer old questions months after you've asked (opens in new tab)
3. Get ready for the Pixel 3 on the 4th of October
Based on an advert posted by Google itself, looking for influencers to review the upcoming Pixel 3, the flagship smartphone (and the Pixel 3 XL) is going to arrive on the 4th of October. Considering that's the same date that the original Pixels and the Pixel 2 devices launched as well, it seems pretty likely – so get your calendars marked in advance.
- Looks like Google has accidentally leaked the Pixel 3 launch date: October 4 (opens in new tab)
4. The Razer Phone 2 could arrive by the end of 2018
Carrying on the theme of upcoming hardware, Razer is being tipped to release a successor to its debut smartphone before 2018 is out. We're getting close to the one-year anniversary of the original phone, and one of the company's executives has let slip that a new model is going to be revealed in the coming months – though other details are thin on the ground.
- Razer Phone 2 could land by the end of the year (opens in new tab)
5. Fossil's new smartwatches add heart rate tracking
Fossil has some new Wear OS smartwatches to tempt you into buying a wearable, and this time they're bringing heart rate tracking with them: the Q Explorist HR and Venture HR build on previous models, adding in waterproofing, an NFC chip and GPS as well as the heart rate tech. As yet Fossil hasn't confirmed release dates or prices for the watches.
- Fossil Q Explorist HR and Venture HR bring heart rate tracking and Wear OS (opens in new tab)